Sunday, August 8, 2010

lamb stew

This is my favorite lamb stew in the world. It's hearty, easy, and delicious. The recipe calls for lamb shoulder, but I use whatever boneless cuts of lamb I have. You could also substitute beef. I think you could also substitute chicken, but then I would also use chicken broth instead of beef, and white wine instead of red.

LAMB STEW
2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes and trimmed of fat
2 Tbs flour
2 Tbs canola oil
1 large onion, chopped fine
6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
4 carrots, cut into 1/2 pieces
2 Tbs brown sugar (I skip or substitute with whatever sugar I have)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin (I like to buy seeds and then grind them with a pestle and mortar)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
3 cups beef broth

In a bowl toss lamb with seasoned flour until well coated. In a 4- to 6-quart heavy saucepan heat 1 tablespoon oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown lamb in 2 batches, transferring to another bowl. In pan cook onion and garlic in remaining tablespoon oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add carrots, celery, brown sugar, thyme, spices, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine, broth, and lamb. Simmer stew over low heat, partially covered, stirring occasionally, 2 1/2 hours, until thickened and lamb is very tender.

Serve stew over couscous or noodles or eat it by itself like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment